Saturday, April 11, 2009

"Time, got the time tick tick ticken in my head..."

"Peace sells, but who's buying?"
"Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die"
"Life is funny sometimes. Funny like a fist in the gut."

Every so often I get bored enough to thumb through the depths of the iTunes library. Next thing I know I have purchased 5 or 6 albums I forgot about. I don't know where the CDs I had ran off to. Left in a player somewhere? "Borrowed" for long term with no late fee? Fell out of my CD case? Who knows. But I spend a lot of time looking for the new. So much so that I forget about the previously discovered. What was it I had? I forgot. Obviously I do this with more than music. I'm not sure why it is that I can't find that one thing that I love SO much that I just want to become and ace at just that. I see people do it all the time. People find stuff and make it their life. Anyone who competes at a reasonably high level knows exactly what I am talking about. You can't just practice a bit here and a bit there and expect to win anything. It must be your total life. The same can be said for work. People make jobs theirlife. The central focus to which all else must orbit. In some respects that must be nice. I wake up with so many things that I like to do that I can't just get up and go. No auto pilot. I think it was Einstein who had a bunch of sets of clothing that were exactly the same. He would wake up and just put on the next set. Easy and no need to waste energy on "What the hell will I wear today?". I could never do that because, well, good god how boring could you get?! o.O No, like everything else in my life I have different clothing for different moods and lord knows I have many moods. >.>

=Break/ side note= On my wife's art journal I was just listed under the "stuff" category! HAHAHAHA

Okies....where was I? Ahh yeah. So to cut this short, I am scattered. I like too much. I like scuba diving, hiking, photography (thank god I can do that along with a bunch of this other stuff), skiing, ATVing, Snowmobiling, sculpting, drawing, painting and art stuffs, track day with my car, skating and biking, and and and and...bla bla bla. To bring this around full circle, on top of all this garbage I am always looking for the new thing to try. I do it for a while, hit a certain level and start looking for the next thing. I mean if any of you ever catch me saying I am bored by all means smack me up side the head. Tell me to go read this post for crying out loud. I have a bad habit of forgetting the discovered in favor of bitching about what I haven't found yet. *Facepalm* I know I'm not the only one who does this. I bet this behavior has some kind of name. I also know that from time to time I need to look back into the CD collection that is my life experience and play some of those old tracks. There is some great stuff in there.

1 comment:

BoneFolder said...

Have you ever heard someone say they're bored, in their lives? This completely mystifies me.

If I could get good internet access in the pokey I'd commit some heinous crime; I could easily absorb a five-or-so-year sentence with all the stuff I wanted to do with a computer. And that's just the stuff I want to do with a computer! And reading! I miss it so much, easily the biggest bummer about getting a car. I got so much reading done when I was taking the bus! Then there's mixed-media art -- so many disciplines to master, so many found objects to find, so many ideas to express. Woodworking -- I really planned on developing those skills, but abandoned it when the tools I had amassed got stolen when I was remodeling my house. Why haven't I learned scuba diving? I'm mental about snorkeling, and my biggest fantasy is to have gills. I don't know why I have this subscription to Make: magazine; I never have time to build any of that badass stuff and it just taunts me.

Interesting new hobbies come up all the time, and when someone tells me they're bored in their life it actually makes me irritated. If people were more like networked computers I would find a way to use those idle CPU cycles to get more of MY shit done.

I just cannot imagine how people can be bored with so much stuff out there to do.

[END RANT]

--Mike Jennings