Saturday, April 4, 2009

Worship the eye. DO IT NOW!

So yeah, this is so typically me. It's like the cliche' of Mikeness. It has an eye, it's blood red, it has skulls and gears. It is not finished. Yep, that's Mike. HAH. This would be my Temple from the deMeng and Wilkenfield workshop held in Bali North Carolina. Ok, yeah yeah. Bali. You know, the third world country I have been....never mind. As is the case with any deMeng workshop I did not have enough...can you guess? Say it with me. Ready? TIME! Ok ok, when the hell does anyone ever have enough time in one of deMengs workshops? Michael himself admits that he would never work under such conditions. Well this was the king baby of them all. Five stories tall and needed to be "Good Bad and Ugly" done in three-ish days. Are you kidding me? I could have easily spent a full day planning out each level! Forget painting them and all that detail work. The Wilkenfield parts were fine. Age some stuff, assemble, wire and braid, vuala. Done. They turned out really cool too, but that's another post. Michaels part was just a huge chunk of ommygodhowamIgoingtogetthisdone? I managed to do it though and I am pretty proud of the outcome given the time crunch. Bali was great inspiration for this project no doubt. I found it hard, however, to get the feel of Bali into the temple. I wanted mini Bali objects to put all over it. Things that screamed Bali culture. I couldn't find any small enough! Erin found a really cool Ganesha and used it as her top, but for the most part small was not to be found. Not what I was looking for in any case. The Bali "Home Depot" had some fun stuff. Old style door lock hooks, odd key holes etc. None of it really said Bali though. Lucky for me Erins mom donated an old typewriter to our art destruction stash. I spent the better part of a day before we left trying to figure out how to get the thing apart and get to the juicy bits. A very fun day indeed. We also had been stocking up on gears and keys, so the combo of all that mixed with the organic stuff worked out rather well I think. Working in Bali was interesting I must say. Paint glue and Bali's version of Kwikdap wouldn't dry very fast in the humidity. The place we were in didn't have a bunch of outlets so plug in tools were not accessible at our tables. It didn't turn out to be a problem however. I have also never taken a deMeng workshop where I had access to beer the whole time. HAHAHA. No, I didn't drink the entire time, but we were basically working in the restaurant. What I actually ended up ordering during class was fruit drinks. Watermelon juice was the best in my opinion. All the fruit was so fresh and ripe it tasted like it had been picked that morning. For all I know it had been. When you ordered a juice they would actually go cut open the fruit, throw it in a blender and juice it there. None of this canned garbage. So yummy. So there it is, my Bali temple. I am completely shocked that it made it home at all. I fully expected to pull out broken chunks from the suitcase. Seattle is one of the worst air ports for "fragile luggage". We had three things marked with fragile stickers and I watched with general amusement as the baggage handler threw them around as they came off the carousel. He had an evil smirk on his face and was laughing maniacally as he did it too. OK, he wasn't, but he should have been. It would have finished the look nicely. I knew it would happen however, so I wasn't mad. The only things that broke off the temple were the glass bead on the very top. I knew it wouldn't stay on, so no big. Also there used to be keys around the corners of the lowest level. I figured as ALL of them were pulled off they must not have been meant to be there. If/when I get around to really finishing it I'll post more pictures. For me, the part that's most unfinished are the sides. They just feel blank. You can see to easily that it's a bunch of stacked boxes. Then again, perhaps it's just me being picky about my stuff again. Who knows. Edit: Ok, we all know Michael deMeng is a great guy but I wanted to show everyone another side of him. He is a total show off. Look at him here. I was like "I would love to get a shot of that statue from closer up but I would have to basically be in the pond." then deMeng walks over and is all "Oh, you mean from here?" He walks on the water to get the shot just to show me up. Check out the smug look on his face. He thinks he is SO cool. Pffft. I can walk on water too ya know Michael. I just wasn't going to be all up in everyone's face about it. Sheesh.

No comments: