Thursday, August 28, 2008

The days between.

So I have discovered something I suppose many artists of this craft have found out a long time ago. I hate the days between projects. The days that I sit there wondering how exactly I will do a particular thing. How will I execute it. I also discovered that no sooner had I found a new craft that I committed myself. OK, perhaps that should have been done a long time ago. Rather I made commitments. Someone asked me if I could do this or that and before blinking I said "SURE! YOU BET! SOUNDS FUN!". Now to be sure, everything I committed to is and will be fun. That's why I said I would do them, but it also means all the crazy ideas in my head that are just for lil ol me have to wait. That's something the ideas in my head aren't very good at. They tend to be impatient little buggers and want to get done now...even yesterday. So as it was, I had two projects that I had committed to doing. I had NO idea what I would do for either. For the last 4 days I have sat staring at the blank pages of my sketchbook wondering where to even start. I have come to hate blank pages. They remind me much of my mind half the time. HAH, ok, my mind is very full, we just won't say what it's full of. Heh. One of the projects is a cigar box shrine. But a shrine to what? I asked myself "What do I, Michael McMillen, have enough faith in to make a shrine of?" And there I was. Stuck. The question was to big. "Well lots of stuff." is all I could think off. Not exactly narowing anything down here are we? I was getting frusteremdated. (Thats the feeling you get when you try to read that last word there.) Then after 4 days of "can I even do this" kind of helpful thinking Erin says one sentence. A set of words and the image starts to fall in place like glass un-breaking. The shards magically coming together into a fixed picture in my mind and in 5 minutes of talking, I have it. NO...pffft. I ain't tllen you nuthen. Your just going to have to wait and see! HAHAHAhahahaha. (thats called a cliff hanger there....lets see if it works.)

2 comments:

BoneFolder said...

A social network I'm on asks the question "what is your muse?" When I put "My wife", I got a TON of responses to that, as if it were extraordinary. I was thinking "Well duh. I'd be hopeless if she weren't around." It seems obvious, doesn't it? Just the same, I suppose it's easy to forget.

Don Madden said...

It gets easier as you get older -- you just forget what it is you meant to do...
I mentioned you in my blog today, take a look.
Don