Friday, August 22, 2008

Duct tape is not always the solution... heh

So I had one of those really great shop moments. The kind of moment that made me think "Grandpa would be proud." Actually, I'm not sure if it would have been grandpa or Grandma. Oh that just made me think of a great story.

So, one day my Grandfather, Dad and a very good friend are all working on a new engine for Gramps truck. 3 guys working on one engine. Yeah....I am sure that at least one of them was the "drinking beer" guy and that it was highly likely Grandpa was doing all the work. Any how, the engine was not in his truck at the time. It's all brand new and shiny. So they finish whatever they were doing to it and go to put it back into place and realize that the "cherry picker" that they had borrowed (basically a lift used to lift in and out engines from vehicles and no, do not ask me why they called it that) was too short to put it in. 6" to short. So there they are, stuck, and trying to figure out how they would get this thing 6" higher. They are at this for about an hour when my Grandmother comes out to tell them dinner is ready. Grandpa tells her whats going on and that they need to get this done before dark so dinner has to wait. She pops off with "Fine. Let the air out of the stupid tires, get that thing set and come in for dinner or you eat it cold." HAH. Thats good Grandparents memorys there.

So....with that out of the way. My shop moment. It was awesome. Our work bench in the garage was there when we bought the place. Very nice and all. Clean and pretty. Well it has this trim on the front edge. Kinda decorative like. Made of metal with about a 3 inch lip hanging over. So I went to try and clamp my bench pin to it and the clamp wouldn't go over the trim. The trims to big. So I tried my quick clamp. The trim hits the release lever for the dang quick clamp... I'm sitting there turning over this thing and looking for ANY way to clamp it down. I'm getting more irritated by the second. Then....then I see it. Mr. Hack saw. OH so LOVELY Mr. Hacksaw. And with an evil grin and a sparkle in my eye the trim was a memory. With great satisfaction did I rip the last bits off with my vice grip pliers. MmmmwwwwAAAAAHAHAHAHA. It aint clean, it aint purdy, but my bench pin fit GREAT after. Heh.

No comments: