Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I finaly took the left turn at Albuquerque


Buggs Bunny never did it. He always meant to. He just never got around to it and he always ended up back in some hot water for not doing it. I was in the tunnel with Buggs until last week. I never ended up in hot water per-say, but I never did get where I was going either. So my loving wife forced me, kicking and screaming, to go to "Art Unraveled". It's this funky art convention thing where people get together and make dumb craft stuff. WRONG. That's what I was afraid it would be. That's the story I wrote in my little head. "What if I get there and it's just a bunch of kids stuff?" I knew intellectually that it wouldn't be that, but fear is a funny thing. So there it was. My left turn at Albuquerque and I took it. It was my reconnection to the art community that I had lost so long ago. This place was full of folks openly sharing ideas and "how to" info. Completely unlike so many venues where technique is held close to the chest and over embellished in order to make ones work seem to have more value. It had been years since I had done art for any personal reason other than the occasional project here or there. Now I have more ideas floating around in my airy skull than I can get down on paper. I'm trying, but I would need more hands to get it all down fast enough. From my first class of basic copper/brass etching to my last class of ahsemblauge (lol) and everything in between. I found new outlets (ba dump bump) for my creative mind. I know how much more there is out there to learn about this, but I am in no rush. I just want to play with what I have at the moment. That and try my best to keep in contact with the people I met at this conference.

2 comments:

Long Black Eyelahes said...

Now if you could only convince my husband to go too. I remember you and your wife, i was glad to have more men there. It was an awesome vacation for you, i hope your wife enjoyed it too.

Long Black Eyelahes said...

Oopsies, i meant to say awesome vacation for me!