Monday, August 18, 2008

Smell-O-rama: The class

Want to know how to make a room smell like a 2 week old cat box in a room with 5 guys who just got back from an all bean meal at a Mexican restaurant? Will if ya do, this was the class for you! Oh yeah. Leme tell ya. Liver of Sulfur, some ammonia, some vinegar for spice. WOO BABY! Now we are cooking with.....here it comes. Ready for it? Gas. (ba dump bump) These are basic "kitchen patinas" as quoted by Jacqueline Sullivan . Some of it didn't smell like an outhouse. I mean, throw steel in water, tap it on the table to knock off excess and let it sit for a bit. Bingo. Rust. Yay rust! But the funky colors and such came from a mix of (as best I can remember after the fumes left my brain) ammonia and kosher salt. However some of them may have been vinegar. Take your chunk of metal and lay out some plastic wrap. Put down some ammonia and a dash of salt, then your metal over the top, a bit more salt and ammonia, wrap it up and let it bake in the hot sun. I had them all laid out and labeled and I was going to take a pic with my phone, but I forgot and then had to use the plate to mix paint on for the background. Oh well. I'll figure it out. I have the notes around here someplace..... in this well organized "room". Any hoo, This was a very fun class and I learned more things to torture metal with! BAD METAL, VERY BAD! THAT"S IT! INTO THE AMMONIA FOR YOU! ...and you STAY there till you learn to say please. o.O

3 comments:

Shoshanah said...

very cool -- love the background, too. was this at AU? how did i miss it?!?

~shoshanah (the hannah grey chick)

ArtPropelled said...

The wrapping with amonia etc and baking in the sun is a new one for me. Thanks for the tip. I like the effects on the rich background.

Michael said...

Yes, this was a class at AU on the last day. A Collage of Metals with
Jacqueline Sullivan.

I had no clue that any of these things would patina various metals, so no problem. Happy to pass on the info! Well, I knew steel rusted faster than you can blink, but I never quite thought of that as a patina. ;)

-Michael